Sunday, May 1, 2016

Busking with Doxies


Yesterday was the Spring Daschund Festival in NYC at Washington Square Park. And of course we took Otto with us to see all the other Dascunds that would show up, there must have been over 100 of them.
While in Washington Square Park on a Saturday at noon in the beautiful Spring weather I figured it would be perfect chance to start the Busking season and do a little magic. Washington Square Park is far from my usual pitch but I was very excited to work there. You see my original inspiration to get into street performing was at this very spot. A performer named Anthony "Chappy" Brazil was an incredibly creative magician who I'd watch for hours and later became friends with. I'd work out new effects and get lots of advice on how to get into the street performing arena. He always worked at the statue of Holley on the West side of the park. The statue has been moved since then but only a few feet and rotated.  When I started I never had the nerve to work Washington Square,  it was only after a few years of other spots that I settled on Union Square Park near a farmers market. Good solid crowds with god hats t the end of each show. I never went back to work Washington Square.

We lost Chappy in a motorcycle accident while he was out west heading to shoot a video on his watch stealing techniques. It was part of his street act and was very funny and when he handed the audience member their own watch back they were ALWAYS amazed.

As I stood there doing my Linking Rings for the audience I realized I had come a long way in magic and a long way in street performing. It would be great to work along side my idols and teachers on this pitch,

After working for an hour or so it was time to head back to the dogs! Otto with his steampunk tails on and my performance costume generated lots of photo requests and we are always happy to oblige.

No comments:

Post a Comment