Friday, December 16, 2011

Clowning at the Hospital Today

Today I had the privilege of clowning at Brookdale Hospital in Brooklyn where we have our Clown Dr program for the Hemetology/Oncology department's xmas party for all their patients in the community. It was attended by over 100 children and their families. At first they asked me to do a magic show but then it was decided that I should do walk around instead. I brought some great walk around comedy and decided to bring the balloon pump and twist a bit as well.  What FUN I had....spinning the plate, doing magic, dancing with the kids and making my usual simple single balloon sculptures. I think the thing that went over best was the three frog monte. This effect was developed by the late great Bob McAllister. In fact he gave me this set just before he came to market with it. Having groups of kids guess which frog will squeek was a blast. The cut and resotred rope went over well in this situation and as always I ended up with the stream of children following me waiting to see the trick again and again.
Just as thing s slowed down a bit, in walks balloon twisting guru Todd Neufeld. I recognized him immediately and introduced myself. Well before I introduced myself I threw my balloon pump into my bag and put my twisting stuff away. I always defer to the expert in the room. Funny thing, and I told this to Todd when we spoke, is that I had just followed him on twitter the day before.
After a few more games of three frog monte and the end of my rope....it was time for me to go.
A wonderful party, all the kids and their families had good food, entertainment and fun.

Keep 'em clean....

No comments:

Post a Comment